Sunday, April 26, 2009

Still Looking

I can't believe it is so difficult to find a swim coach, or maybe I don't know where to look. End of last week I phoned the local swim school in Springs, the town where I am working and do I need to say it, it is the only swim school in town. After I explained my whole story to the guy he said he will be more than happy to help me but the swim school closes end of April as winter is upon us and they open in August again. So much for helping me, I need to improve my swim now not August.

I spoke to a friend who advise me to go onto swimming South Africa's website and look for accredited swim coaches but there is nothing on their website.

Then I tried in the town I live in(Witbank), but here I also can't find someone who can help me. I can't believe it is so difficult to get a swim coach.

My swim has improved over the last three years but I am now stuck at 1:50min per 100 meter for the Ironman distance, and can't get faster than 1h15 for the 3.8km. My swim time for IM South Africa in 2008 and 2009 was exactly the same although I've put in 30% more training in 2009.

Kim says I am now making the swim coach thing an obsession and I must just carry on the way I do, as I am not a good swimmer and can rather work on my cycling to make up the lost time.
I hear what she says but if I get out of the water at 1h15 in Kona I am not going to be happy.

I am trying to tell her that to be competitive you need to be good in ALL three disciplines not just in one or two.

This morning I've tested my Zoot Ultra swim skin and I must say I am impressed. Don't know if it is just psychological but it really feels if you go faster. Apart from me only swimming once a week for the past three weeks and loosing a lot of fitness, my time was 7 seconds per 200 meter faster than just before IM.

I guess I just need to keep looking for that swim coach and maybe, just maybe I can get to the 1 hour mark at an IM with the help of a coach and my swim skin suit.

Yesterday's workout:
Gym: 37:43 min, 460kcal.

Today's workout:
Swim: 21:34min, 1km.

Weeks totals:
Swim: 21:34, 1 km
Bike: 0
Run: 35:42 min, 7.3 km
Gym: 2 sessions

No comments:

Post a Comment